Guest Book

Contact Info:

New Canaan Fire Department

60 Main Street
New Canaan, CT 06840
Station: Headquarters
( 203 ) 594-3140


Welcome to New Canaan Fire Department

Ash Can give away!!!
Thursday, November 19, 2015 
Safe Ash Disposal This fall, the New Canaan Fire Department is holding a free drawing for 3 metal ash disposal buckets, curtesy of New Canaan Firefighters and Weed and Duryea. Entry forms can be obtained at Weed and Duryea, at New Canaan Fire Headquarters or by sending your name and address to the New Canaan Firefighters at newcanaanfirefighters@hotmail.com (New Canaan residents only please). Five Days. That is how long an ember can remain active in fireplace ashes after the flames have gone out. Until then, if you must, ashes must be removed to a metal container with a tight lid for safe disposal. The container then must be removed to an outside area away from a structure or anything combustible. The region has already experienced its first fire, in Weston, caused by improper disposal of ashes. This happened when ashes from a charcoal grill placed outside, adjacent to the foundation of the home which ignited the homes siding. The good news is the fire was discovered before major damage could occur. Following is a list of safety tips for safe disposal of ashes: 1. Let’em wait! What’s the rush? It’s a fireplace/wood stove/grill. Fires actually burn better with a bed of ashes. 2. Be mindful that several of the past experiences with improper ash disposal have involved housekeepers or care takers being “helpful” and cleaning out the fireplace and then placing the ashes in the trash. 3. If you insist, use an approved metal container with a tight lid. These are available at Weed and Duryea and other home goods locations. 4. Also little known is the fact that if the improperly disposed of ashes don’t set your house on fire, they can ignite in the garbage truck which is a real quagmire as the truck must quickly dump the load, wherever they are, in the street! That is the true definition of a MESS! 5. And if they don’t erupt in the garbage truck, they can create quite a problem when they ignite at the Recycling Center/Transfer Station. 6. Make sure you have working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to safe guard against any fire or carbon monoxide situation. As you may recall the horrific Christmas morning fire in Stamford was caused by improper disposal of fireplace ashes. Please be safe for your family’s sake. For more information call 203-594-3140 or email us at newcanaanfirefighters@hotmail.com

Group 1 takes in a car fire
Monday, October 12, 2015 
NCFD Engine 1 and Tanker 8 were dispatched to Valley Road in the area of Thayer Drive earlier today for a car fire. Upon arrival, members of Shift 1 found a working car fire into a tree. Crews made quick work of the fire and remained on scene awaiting a wrecker. The fire was caused when the car struck the tree. No injuries were reported. Thanks to Adam Tarchoun of the NC Advertiser for the photos!

Prayers needed for one of our own...
Tuesday, July 7, 2015 
Now that he is "out of the woods", prayers are still need for the long recovery our Brother Firefighter Michael Sasser has ahead of him. A few weeks ago, Mike was involved in a serious motorcycle accident. Mike suffered some serious leg and internal injuries. He is still in the ICU in New York but hopes to be returning to Connecticut soon to be with his Family. Please continue sending positive vibes and prayers to Mike and his Family.

Great job!
Wednesday, June 17, 2015 
The fundraiser hockey game was a great success as the NCFD and the DFD raised nearly $1000 for the Ct Burn Foundation. The Danbury FD beat the New Canaan FD 4-3 in regulation in the 1st of many fundraiser games between the 2 departments. A presentation will be made to the CT Burn Foundation soon. If you want to make a donation, there is still time. mail a check made out to the CT Burn Foundation to: New Canaan Fire Department 60 Main St. New Canaan, CT 06840 Attn: Burn Foundation

Hockey game to benefit the CT Burn Foundation
Thursday, June 11, 2015 
On Saturday June 13th at 3pm, the New Canaan Firefighters will take on the Danbury Firefighters in a charity hockey game. The event will be held at the Danbury Ice Arena. 100% of all raised money will be donate to the Connecticut Burn Foundation.

If you are unable to attend the game but wish to make a donation, please mail a check made out to the CT Burn Foundation C/O New Canaan Firefighters. Mail it to 60 Main St. New Canaan, CT 06840.

Group 1 runs mutual aid the Pound Ridge NY
Monday, May 18, 2015 
NCFD Engine 4 and Tanker 8 were requested to respond to Pound Ridge NY from r the working house fire just before noon today. Upon arrival, crews found a single family private dwelling with heavy smoke coming from the eves and 2nd floor. Engine 4's crew stretched a 2nd 1 3/4" handling to assist the PRFD crews. Once inside, crews knocked down all visible fire and began overhaul. Addition fire was found in a few different languages locations while opening up the ceiling and walls. A good job was done by all on scene. No injuries were reported.

Local 3224 extends our sorrow
Wednesday, April 15, 2015 
The Brothers of NCFD 3224 wish to extend their sorrow to the Town of New Canaan's First Selectman Robert E. Mallozzi, on the loss of his Father. Our thoughts and prayers are with the entire Mallozzi Family during their time of need.

Happy Easter and Passover
Sunday, April 5, 2015 
From the Brothers of NCFD, we would like to wish everyone a happy and safe Easter holiday! As always, keep the men and women fighting for our freedom in your thoughts and prayers as well as the Firefighters, police and EMS workers on duty today and everyday!!

NCFD T-shirts on sale now!!
NCFD T-shirts
   NCFD T-shirts
Tuesday, March 10, 2015 
The New Canaan Firefighters of Local 3224 are pleased to announce the arrival of our "general public" NCFD T-shirt. They are on sale now at Fire Headquarters located at 60 Main St. New Canaan. The price is $15.00 each. Swing by and pick one up!

Winter Safety Tips from our Family to yours!
Friday, December 5, 2014 
Winter means a lot of things: snow days, sledding, hot cocoa, holiday gift-giving. It also means, more than in any other season during the year in America, residential building fires. Every year in the United States, winter residential building fires result in an estimated average 3,825 injuries and $1.78 billion in property loss, according to the The United States Fire Administration (USFA). Research also shows that fires in one- and two-family dwellings account for a whopping 67 percent of all winter home fires, and such fires occur mainly in the early evening hours, peaking from 5 to 8 pm. So how do you keep your family safe during those months you want to stay inside the most? Start by following these winter fire safety tips: Fireplaces & Wood Stoves. Of course, if you live in a cold-weather city or community, you have to find a way to heat your home during the tough winter months. A home fireplace or wood stove can bring an extra element of nostalgia, color and togetherness to your family's winter. But it's also highly important to exercise caution when you get a good fire crackling at the homestead. Have your home's chimney or flue inspected by a certified professional at least once every year, always use a protective screen in front of open fireplaces, and keep combustible materials at least three feet away from fireplaces or wood stoves. Additionally, you should completely extinguish fires before leaving your home or going to bed. Place ashes (which can remain hot for days) into a non-combustible container, and store the container outside and at least three feet away from combustible materials such as decks and wall siding. Fire-Free Furnaces. Inspect your furnace for damage before using it for the first time every year. Always use a bonded, licensed and insured contractor to service, replace or install your gas or electric furnace. Exercise caution when extinguishing or relighting pilot lights on gas furnaces. And if you smell gas, turn off the furnace and immediately leave your home. From a safe place, call both the gas company and the fire department. Portable Heaters. They're often referred to as "space heaters" and, according to National Fire Protection Association statistics, account for about one third of home heating fires and approximately 80 percent of the home heating fire deaths. Most of these fires are caused by owners not properly maintaining the portable heater, or the use of unsafe portable heaters. But rest assured there are several steps you can take to use portable heaters safely. Always keep the heater at least three feet from furniture, walls and anything that could ignite from the heat, and keep children and pets away from portable heaters at all times. Be sure to turn off portable heaters, unplug them if they plug into the wall and wait for them to cool before going to bed or leaving the room. You should also ensure portable heaters are positioned on a level surface, if they get knocked over easily, the heated part of the device could touch a flammable surface and spark an ignited fire (some portable heaters include sensors that cause the heater to shut off automatically if it tilts over). Finally, check electric portable heaters for cord damage, other damage and missing parts before and after each use.

Search for News stories: RSS FEED
Search by : Month | Year | Keyword | Category